8.14.2012

The Beautiful Bounty of the Farmer's Market

The Beautiful Bounty of Farmer's Market














Oh how wonderful it is to come home with such wonderful food purchased at the Saratoga Springs Farmer's Market!   From organic fruit and veggies, to pasture raised/fed meats and sustainable fish.

Yummy Kale to make kale chips, or saute with mushrooms.  Lots of veggies to grill.  Carrots and spinach to juice, love my salad with fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella cheese.  Fresh melon for breakfast along with berries for my oatmeal.   Fresh chicken for homemade chicken soup, and yummy lamb for burgers with mint.  Awesome fresh fish to grill.  Everything I choose can be made simply and quickly for a totally healthy nutritional meal.   For example, tuna and scallops on grill with chopped up veggies mixed in olive oil, garlic and pepper.  Quick saute of Kale, garlic and mushrooms throwing in a few walnuts.  That is all very quick and easy! 

Before you go to the farmer's market be sure to think through your week.  The last thing you want to do is spend money on these fresh foods only to throw them out if you are not allowing time to be home to cook for a short time a couple nights a week.  So, think about when you are home.  How long will the fish stay fresh.  For example, if you buy fish on Saturday, although it's fresh, it may only be good till Monday night's dinner.   Also, with the greens, they stay fresh for a few days but can become wilted.  Sometimes I make my green juice drink with spinach within a couple days of purchase, if I add lemon and lime to the juice drink, it will last a few days in the fridge.   

Another thing is watch your spending and budget for the day.  I find I am compulsive with many of the ready made items such as dips and pesto, easily going through my budget before I have purchased all my necessary items.   Keep with your intentions with a couple smaller additions.  I find I spend less time and money at the mass grocery store because I am planning better trips to the farmer's market and health food stores. 

Find one new recipe to make from whole foods from the market in season.  This is so rewarding to do after your purchases to create something so yummy and healthy!  There is usually a booth from your local co-oporative service that provides great recipes and information.

To find the farmer's market in your area go to,  http://www.localharvest.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment